Saturday, February 13, 2010

Harry Connick Jr.

My husband and I saw Harry Connick Jr. in concert tonight.  What an artist,  his piano playing along with his singing were a pure delight to listen to.  It made me think more broadly of what the term artist really means.  He sang with emotion and talent.  The audience was drawn into the whole experience.  Made me more aware of the need of the artist to draw the viewer into the painting. 
I am very fortunate, as my husband is creating a pochade box for me.  He gave me a lovely box with paints for our first Christmas about five years ago.  I misplaced it when we moved into our house and by that time two years had past.  I started painting about four years ago.  How time flys.  The paints, pencils, pastels have all been uses and the lovely box just sitting there beckoning to be recreated.  I plan to do the 100 small paintings plein air recommended by, if I remember correctly, Kevin Mac Pherson. So the box is going in my car and I hope to have an intimate relationship with it.  May even lead to my posting more frequently. For sure will allow me to take my paints on our trips.

3 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

Well, this has to make you happy! A very good thing to look forward to--indeed! MacPherson wrote about 100 "starts" in his outstanding book..."Fill your Paintings with light and color" --He stressed that they should only be "starts" (but we know that just starting will be a great motivator)! I can't wait to see what you do with your new mobile studio!

Celeste Bergin said...

p.s. Harry Connick Jr---sigh. I envy you!

Diane Hoeptner said...

I'm sure you'll paint some beautiful paintings on the go and I'm all for anything that enables you to post more! The concert sounds inspirational, it's always great to see people "performing" to the best of their ability regardless of what it is!