Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mary Garrish Workshop

I can't believe how long it took me to set this up... There has to be an easier way but my brain won't take any more learning. As it is I went back to picasso as my editor.

As the expression goes, "the teacher will appear when the student is ready". AND was I ready. Mary showed us how to work from two photo references and I finally learned how to distinguish from referencing and duplicating.


Mary' Palette and initial laying in of darks after sketch. She uses Vasari paint. The three primary color Cad Yellow light/pale, Cad Red, and Ultramarine Blue plus the 8 grays created for Scott Christenson by Vasari. I fell in love with the pallet.










Initial sketch, starting on darks

















Mary was using two difference photos she completed the landscape first.













Softening the edges
Posted by Picasa




Laying in darks of sky










Finishing touches






Done

2 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

well that was certainly fun to watch! Thanks for sharing the photos. She really uses 8 grays? Did I read that right?

Honor Bradley said...

Actually the set comes with 8 grays which are absolutely beautiful... She mentioned she used some more than others. Mary actually gave us a bit of each and they impressed me so much, I bought myself the set as an early Christmas present to myself.